Skip to content
Daniel Ricciardo will blame his engineers with a beer or two after performing a smaller miracle to get him to qualify for the China Grand Prix.
Just minutes before the first session, television shows show Ricciardo's car broken in the garage, but somehow he did it on track and only had a shot to get through to the following sessions.
He owes his mechanic, Ricciardo said, "They did very well, the mechanics were going to celebrate, they did a good job."
"What happened this morning is out of their hands, everything is pressing on them . They made it really good, we got out there and 6 are better than being 20th on the back.
"I saved the gratitude for after the session, I just came out, we did not have time to mess around."
"Ferrari has had a good pace this weekend. I can not honestly say we will get their pace but Mercedes looks within range. In my mind there is a place on the podium. "
The Red Bull team chief president Christian Horner was also excited about the effort to get Ricciardo on the pitch.
" What they (engineers) have Daniel Ricciardo will start to form 6th "src =" http: //cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/5a05440981b71aef58a778d07731c289 "width =" 650 "height =" 488 "/>
Daniel Ricciardo will begin to form 6th Source: AP
"Get the engine turned around, get it dressed and the car was lovely. To see Max's engineers jumping on was what the team's work is.
"The tires were cold in the first quarter went down the pitlane, from which Daniel could settle down and get into the rhythm.
"Fifth and sixth we are close to Mercedes. But we will start the race on another deck and it could be interesting. "
Ricciardo will start sixth behind Ferraris, Mercedes and his teammate Max Verstappen on Sunday.
Sebastian Vettel broke his teammate Kimi Raikkonen's heart on the final shot to snatch pole position and a track record that Iceman had put some minutes before.
Sparks flies behind Daniel Ricciardo's car Source: Getty Images
Vettel clocked 1min 31.095sec at Shanghai International Circuit and marks the 52th pole of the twentieth career.
"I was pleased with everything not just the last shot. I knew if I got a nice shot, I could push them, "said Vettel.
" I was pleased with the whole lap. The car was amazing. It was getting better. It looks like Kimi's side, there's more rubber, so I need a good start. "
1. Sebastian Vettel (GER / Ferrari) 1min 31.095sec (lap record)
2. Kimi Raikkonen (FIN / Ferrari) 1: 31.182
3. Valtteri Lewis Hamilton (GBR / Mercedes) 1: 31.675
5. Max Verstappen (NED / Red Bull) 1: 31.796
6. Daniel Ricciardo (AUS / Red Bull) 1: 31.948
7. Nico Hulkenberg (GER / Renault) 1: 32.532
8. Sergio Perez (MEX / Force India) 1: 32.758
9. Carlos Sainz Jr. (ESP / Renault) 1: 32.819
10. Romain Grosjean (FRA / Haas) 1: 32.855
Eliminated in Q2:
11. Kevin Magnussen (DEN / Haas)
12. Esteban Ocon (FRA / Force India)
13. Fernando Alonso (ESP / McLaren)
1 4th Stoffel Vandoorne (BEL / McLaren)
15. Brendon Hartley (NZL / Toro Rosso)
Eliminated in Q1:
16. Sergey Sirotkin (RUS / Williams)
17. Pierre Gasly (FRA / Toro Rosso)
18. Lance Stroll (CAN / Williams)
19. Charles Leclerc (MON / Sauber)
20. Marcus Ericsson (SWE / Sauber)
Originally published as
Herculean effort: Ricciardo's Red Bull miracle