Residents endure second sleepless night

[ad_1]

SOUTHWEST Sydney residents have endured another nervous night when hundreds of firemen took advantage of easing conditions to fight for a flame that has so far become dark 2,500 hectares.

The fire, like began Saturday afternoon and may have been deliberately illuminated, was flooded by strong winds on Sunday and approached suburban streets. It tore through the Holsworthy military area and more than 500 rural workers, fire and rescue NSW and the Australian defense force fought to protect properties.

The fire was downgraded from emergency level to see and act at. Sunday when conditions began to ease.

Firemen have made use of the conditions for making a fire back along Heathcote Road near Pleasure Point as well as in areas of Holsworthy military base.

While the threat is relieved, residents in the areas of Voyager Point, Pleasure Point, Sandy Point, Alford Point, Barden Ridge, Illawong, Menai and Bangor should continue to monitor the situation and be prepared to activate their bush fire survival plans if conditions are changing.

Heathcote Road remains closed between Macarthur Drive and New Illawarra Road.

The old Illawarra Road at Barden Ridge is reopened.

A large number of firefighters remain on the ground working to slow down the incineration burn, which continues to burn in the south eastern direction towards Barden Ridge.

RFS spokesman Greg Allan said that some properties were not avoided rude. "We've had reports of influence on properties in the west Menai and Barden Ridge, but our herds are currently exclusively focused on fighting fire," he told AAP in the evening.

Residents in the suburbs Voyager Point, Pleasure Point, Sandy Point and Illawong, Menai and Bangor were warned of the danger of robbery attacks, so many encrypted snakes and buckets to protect their houses.

At 17:00 some Menai residents began to relax.

Daniel Borg, who lives at Hall Drive in Menai along with Bushland, admitted it was to see how close the flames came.

"It was quite scary," he told AAP when he finally opened a beer, grateful that his house came with sprinklers on the roof.

The NSW police on Sunday evening announced that a task force was set up to investigate whether the fire that started near the Leacock Reserve in Casula was deliberately illuminated.

The conditions are expected to help fire fighting today by winning about half the strength they were on Sunday.

The temperature can remain a concern, according to RF Rogers Deputy Commissioner.

"Still a hard day ahead (Monday)" he told the nine Networks. "I think we have a long way to go before we're out of the woods." Residents of Voyager Point, Pleasure Point, Sandy Point, Alford Point, Barden Ridge, Illawong, Menai and Bangor were told to be ready to activate their bushfire survival plans if conditions change.

Heathcote Road remains closed between Macarthur Drive and New Illawarra Road, while Old Illawarra Road at Barden Ridge is reopened.

[ad_2]

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close