Newcastle Jets into A-League grand final


It was already an adventure, but Riley McGree added another touch of magic to it when Newcastle Jets booked their place in next week's grand final next week.

MERRICK PRAISE: & # 39; Grand Final is a Real Bonus

ON FLIGHT: Tide Turn to Newcastle

The Jets beat Melbourne City 2-1 ahead of time 19,000 fans at McDonald Jones Stadium in Newcastle, where the wind and rain were not enough to keep the crowds away.

Melbourne City had led the lead from 14 minutes to the 57th. But it changed when McGree scored the most memorable equalizer in A-League history.

In fact, it may just be the biggest goal the A-League has ever seen.

After playing a nice one-two with Ronny Vargas on the edge of the field, McGree's outrageous scorpion competition sailed past Dean Bouzanis and on the back of the net. Simply believed it deserves to send jets to the decision maker.

Of course, it took some time for just about everyone in the McDonald Jones Stadium to leave their jaws out of the floor. It was the kind of goal that could only lift the jets and lift them. With 15 minutes to go Jason Hoffman scored his team's second, so Jets came from behind to earn a famous victory.

Last season's woodcutters will now face either Sydney FC or Melbourne Victory in the decade, a decade after they won the championship. What rhythm Ernie Merrick has orchestrated.

Ronny Vargas and Nigel Boogaard were back in the team to the semifinal, the latter just seven weeks after breaking his leg.

Vargas especially made his presence felt in the first half, something that Daniel Arzani will guarantee after City Starlet cut an unpleasant elbow in the face of Venezuelan early in the game. Vargas was lucky to escape a reservation, and luckier still to be on the pitch after a foul tackle on Stefan Mauk.

As much as jets dominated with the ball, they fought to do a lot with it. Dimi Petratos was best on earth for those who whipped crossed and always dangerous from set-pieces.

Jason Hoffman will still wonder how he missed his header from point-to-range after getting the finish on a Petratos corner. Hoffman was unmarked and should have given the home team an early lead, but his head flew far above the crossbar.

For all their chances, City moved the lead 14 minutes into the game, Scott Jamieson slipped Dario Vidosic down the left, putting Bruno Fornaroli ahead.

After a bit of a scramble, the ball found itself in the back of the net, and while the target was originally credited to Fornaroli, it was changed to a separate goal for Nikolai Topor -Stanley.

There were hearts in the mouth when VAR intervened to look at John Koutroumbis's cut at Arzani in the box, but there was too much doubt about transferring the referee and no penalty was awarded. [19659005] Jets began to fall and threatened to get worse for the jetsne when Jack Duncan pulled up with a suspicious torn quad and had to be replaced within the first half of Glenn Moss, but they hit it all in the second half. 19659005] NEWCASTLE JETS 2 (Riley McGree 57m, Jason Hoffman 75m) MELBOURNE CITY 1 (Bruno Fornaroli 14m) at McDonald Jones Stadium. Crowd: 19,131. Judge: Shaun Evans



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close